Consultations by Faculty Dentists
Anytime you have a consultation by a faculty dentist, it should be documented. To perform a consultation, do the following:
- Add the completed procedure "No Charge- Consultation- diag service by faculty dentist" (D9310-C)
- Add the appropriate discipline.
- Attach a general note to the code and document what was discussed with the faculty.
- Have the faculty approve both the procedure and the note.
Full-Time Faculty* Consult is required for the following:
- Multiple extractions leading to an edentulous arch preparatory for complete dentures whether immediate or not.
- Impacted tooth extractions.
- All biopsies.
- All third molar extractions (also require a Panoramic radiograph).
- Completely buried root fragments (D7250). This does not include teeth with crowns decayed to gingival margin (these should be treatment planned as D7140, not D7250).
- Extractions on patients with significant medical compromise or behavioral dysfunction.
- Pre-prosthetic surgery for vestibular depth increase, frenectomy, etc.
- Any patient requiring IV sedation.
No faculty consultation is needed for the following:
- Single or multiple, pathologic, erupted teeth on healthy patients for whom a treatment plan has been approved. This does not include patients being edentulated for complete dentures.