Healthy Smiles Overview
Healthy Smiles is the clinic where you will do your pediatric dentistry rotation. It is located in the eastern entrance of a one-story building just east of Children's Hospital (on E 16th Pl in between Victor Street and N Wheeling Street). The rotation is three weeks long and will be from 9am-5pm every day of the rotation. You will be excused from most classes during your scheduled time and are expected to be there.
It is helpful to review some of the following information:
- Primary tooth letters
- Eruption sequence of both primary and permanent teeth
- Common radiographs for pediatric patients
- OHI for kids and their parents
During the Rotation
The entire first day of the rotation consists of Orientation. You will be given a binder with all the information you will need for the subsequent three weeks. At the end of Orientation Day, there is a quiz.
Speaking of quizzes, your "grade" consists of 3 parts:
- Orientation quiz (10%)
- Infant Oral Health Exam quiz - a.k.a. "Cavity-Free At 3" or "CFAT" (15%)
- General performance in Healthy Smiles clinic (75%)
Additionally, there is a pass/fail portion of your grade that consists of 6 competencies, 2 of which are clinical and 4 of which are written and case-based. Click here for Healthy Smiles competency information.
- Special Health Care Needs - assigned for 1/2 day
- UC - Urgent Care assigned for 1/2 day
- Assist - assigned for 1/2 day
- CFAT or CF3 - assigned for a total of 1 full day in "Cavity-Free At 3" clinic