Implant Planning Protocol
Below are the steps to be taken from tx planning of an implant to placement by the Grad Perio/GPR Department.
- Dental Student gets the patient
- Diagnostic Workup (or re-workup if a legacy patient) including:
- Diagnostic Casts mounted
- Diagnostic wax-up
- Prosthodontic Consult
- Radiographic Guide (Stent) made and approved by pros faculty
- CBCT form filled and approved by pros faculty
- CBCT taken
- Review of CBCT with Pros faculty, complete and approve Implant Flow form including
- Verify Restorative treatment plan is approved and signed by patient
- Choose dental implant manufacturer
- Suggest diameter and length of the implant
- Refer to Perio/GPR residency with Axium referral form
- Perio/GPR surgical implant plan (need of grafting)
- Perio/GPR-Pros faculty discussion of treatment plan and implant placement plan prior to implant placement
- Conversion of radiographic stent to surgical stent, or fabrication of new one
- Dental Students are NOT credential providers and are working under the Restorative Department faculty credentials, thus surgeons must interact with Pros or selective Restorative Department faculty prior to implant placement
- Dental Student --> Perio/GPR resident --> implant/pros diagnosis --> CBCT --> to implant placement = NOT ALLOWED
- You MUST interact and have approval by Pros or selective Restorative Department faculty before implant placement.
For a step-by-step guide to restoring implants, see Restoring Implants in the Restorative, How-To section.